[musictlk] Performing Arts Newsletter, Issue 1 vole 1

Jordy Stringer jordystringer83 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 03:17:10 UTC 2015

Greetings fellow federationists,

The Performing Arts Division  hopes this message finds you all doing well!

For some the publication did not come through in its entirety. For your
convenience the text has been pasted  below.

Happy reading.

Jordy D. Stringer

Hi All

Here's the newsletter you've all been hearing so much about and waiting for!
Please contact me with any articles or inquiries.

Happy Reading!

Lizzy

Spotlight

Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind

Volume 1, Issue 1

August 17, 2015

Editor: Lizzy Muhammad

President: Jordy Stringer

Spotlight

Los Ciegos del Barrio

by Jordy Stringer

                Los Ciegos del Barrio is a band whose members have varying

degrees of blindness.  They are frequent donors to the NFB's

Performing Arts Division, and they have given yet another

donation to this year's annual talent show at national

convention.  Some of us may remember them for their version

of "Brown Eyed Girl" from the NFB Performing Arts

compilation entitled, "Sound in Sight".  The bilingual Latin

band, from New York City, has recently released its brand

new single, "Mama Used To Say".

                The band members had a busy summer in 2015.  On July 12,

they played at the first annual Disability Pride Parade in

New York City.

                On July 18, in further unbiased support of all members of

the blind community, they played at an ACB fundraiser at the

Music Conservatory of Westchester, 216 Central Avenue in

White Plains New York.  The show began at 1:00P.M.and the

audience loved every minute.

                On July 24, The band played at the Brentwood Public Library,

94 2nd Avenue, in Brentwood New York.  The event was free,

open to the public, and enjoyed by all ages.

                On July 29, the band flew to Milwaukee Wisconsin for the

annual "Live At The Lake Front" summer series at Discovery

World Rotary Amphitheater, located at 500 North Harbor

Drive.  In 2012, the band broke the all-time attendance

record...  And was ready for more when they returned for

their sixth consecutive year.

                If you have any questions about the band including its

performance availability, please call the band's director

Alvin Suarez at: (718) 886-8686.  He is also the business

and press contact for bookings and interviews.  You may also

send an email to:losciegosdelbarrio at gmail.com

  Your support is always appreciated at any of their social media

networks: YouTube,HTTP3WWW.YouTUBE.COM/LOSCIEGOSDELBarRIO?

  Facebook,HTTP:WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/LOSCIEGOSDELBarRIO?

  You can also friend request them on Facebook for a more

personal experience.

  Twitter:HTTP:WWW.TWITTer.COM/LOSCIEGOS?

  Want to pick up their new single Mamà Used to Say? It is

available on iTunes.  Don't have iTunes? It is also available on

MP3.

  Los Ciegos Del Barrio salutes all Federationists, and wishes

all members of the NFB Performing Arts Division, a prosperous

rest of the year.

Around the Division

Meet Kaiti Shelton: A Musician in the Performing Arts Division

and Our Newest Board Member

by Jordy Stringer

                Kaiti Shelton is currently pursuing her undergraduate degree

in Music Therapy at the University of Dayton in Ohio.

Though she plays the clarinet as her primary instrument, her

career requires her to be skilled in other areas of musical

performance as well.  The necessity to be a well-rounded

musician has given her the opportunity to perform in a

variety of ensembles and to learn various skills.

                Kaiti does clarinet recitals each semester for music majors

at her school.  She has also played in the Clarinet Choir;

the Pride of Dayton Marching Band; the Symphonic Wind

Ensemble (where she usually sits second or third chair); and

in other groups including the Flyer Pep Band and Sigma Alpha

Iota performances.  Before attending the University of

Dayton, she played as a guest soloist for two major bands in

Cincinnati: Lee's Junction and Blue Stone Ivory.  She played

in regional honor bands during her sophomore and junior

years of college, and was accepted into the prestigious

Cincinnati Youth Wind Ensemble hosted by the CCM preparatory

program in her freshman year.  Through the program, Kaiti

learned that she did not want to be a conservatory clarinet

student.  But the experience was positive in that it helped

her to become a better player along with establishing the

skills needed to perform in other prestigious music groups.

                Kaiti's other interests are in the guitar and vocal

performance.  She has performed several times at open mic

nights and played everything from 80s hits to modern pop.

Her favorites to play are soft pop and alternative songs by

a wide range of artists including: Ingrid Michaelson, The

Lumineers, and Of Monsters and Men.  In the beginning of

summer, she took on a gig opening for a country band at a

local bar, and performed songs by Darius Rucker; Toby Keith;

Miranda Lambert; Carrie Underwood; Rascal Flatts and a few

others.  Interspersed in her country set were some light pop

hits, along with a few summer/island-esque numbers.  The gig

helped her raise funds for humanitarian aid in Jamaica where

she volunteered and studied this past summer.  Kaiti is

hoping that her opening act gig will be the first of more in

depth performances in the Dayton area in addition to the

open mic nights.

                Kaiti's other diverse musical interests are in: Javanese

Gamelan; bonong playing; playing viola de gamba in the UD

Early Music Ensemble and classical guitar which she studied

with Jim McCutcheon.  In addition to these musical

achievements, she performs regularly with the University of

Dayton's Choral Union.  In this choir, she sings everything

from Mozart to jazz standards in sacred and secular

concerts.  She has studied vocal performance for the past

two years with Andrea Chenoweth Wells, who has performed as

part of the Dayton Opera Company and across the country.

                Outside of School, Kaiti has sought other performance

opportunities for both personal enjoyment and professional

development.  She loves to sing in church and school choirs

alike, and is growing more comfortable with singing as a

soloist in the classical genre as well.  She attended the

Summer Braille Music Institute and was a student of the

Braille Beats Fine Arts Program for seven years.  At Braille

Beats Kaiti typically sang alto in the choir, and performed

in the annual talent show.  She also performed in an

original full-length musical aboutJ.S Bach, where she played

the role of Bach's wife and sang the opening number.

                Kaiti understands the importance of having strong vocal

skills for her career in music therapy.  For jobs in the

field, she knows everything from songs of the 1930s to

children's tunes and uses them regularly in her work.  While

it is not necessary to be an accomplished vocalist in order

to facilitate songs with clients, she strives to use proper

technique and skill to hone her craft to the highest

quality.

If you know a performer who would like to be featured in the

"Around the Division" section of "Spotlight" please contact

editor Lizzy Muhammad or president Jordy Stringer

atnfbpad at gmail.com

Who's on Stage?

Letter to the Performing Arts Division of the National Federation

of the Blind:

by Julie McGinnity

Dear friends and colleagues,

                I am writing to spark some thought, discussion, and

eventually action in the Performing Arts Division of the

National Federation of the Blind.  The NFB raises

expectations of blind people every day with its philosophy,

programs, and network of mentors.  Our 75th year brought

with it a new tagline and increased determination to

redefine the meaning of blindness in society.  With the

recent passing of a landmark convention, I ask you to think

about what role our division will play in the next 75 years.

  As performers we are often held back by the misconceptions of

others.  Casting directors expect us to play only blind

characters, and we encounter colleagues who expect us to fall off

the stage every time we face the audience.  We also wrestle with

difficult questions as we audition for roles and compete against

fellow performers.  How does my blindness fit into the character

I must portray? What does it mean to me to look blind on stage,

and is it at all acceptable to do so? What mobility tool can I

use, if any, on stage, and in what situations does this change? I

have found in my own journey as a performer that these are just a

fraction of the questions I ask myself.  I do not believe our

division is ignorant to these issues, but I believe we do not

discuss them while simultaneously implementing strategies to

solve them and teach younger performers.

                There are various ways we can begin working together as a

division to learn from each other, devise new solutions, and

ultimately increase the success of blind performers.

Perhaps we start with research.  Through the listserve and

the eventual formation of a mentoring program, we can gather

knowledge on the most prevalent issues challenging us.  In

addition, I believe that we can learn much about the present

from our past.  A class I am taking has motivated me to

research blindness, entertainment in the 20th century, and

their intersection.  I think we can gain insight by studying

representations of blindness, blind performers, and

significant representations of other disabilities since the

entertainment industry has such a large impact on society.

We learn from songs, remember characters from movies and TV,

and are influenced by the lessons taught to us by the actors

and singers we admire.  As performers we strive to entertain

and affect our audiences, and the blind certainly have a

place in this alongside our sighted colleagues.  We need to

find that place in the worlds of stage and screen, so that

we can share our expertise as critics of blindness-related

entertainment, and become advisors on national policy of

such work.

                I am confident that if we continue to build our division, we

will be leaders in this arena.  The limitations that hold us

back are the ones we impose upon ourselves.  It is time to

address these limitations honestly and fix them collectively

in order to raise expectations of all blind performers.

                To make this a reality, we need your input.  Your

participation is of priceless value.  Your questions deserve

answers, and your problems deserve solutions.  Do not

hesitate to contact me with questions, ideas, or

suggestions.  My information is below.  Thank you for

reading these words, and I hope to meet many of you during

future conventions.

Your friend,

Julie A McGinnity, Vice President

Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind

Jordy D. Stringer

President, Performing Arts Division, National Federation of the Blind

E-mail: president at nfbpad.org

The national federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the
characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raze the
expectations of blind people because lo expectations create opsticals
blindness is not what holds you back.