[musictlk] Braille Music Notator

Toby Rush tobywrush at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 17:30:13 UTC 2015

Hello, all! I've been working on an online utility for creating braille
scores and I'd like to share it with the list in the hopes of getting some
feedback on it.

The utility is available at <http://tobyrush.com/braillemusic/notator/>.
Rather than translating music scores from MusicXML, it allows the creation
and editing of scores in 100% braille music notation. It simplifies the
process by interpreting the braille characters as musical symbols
automatically.

The goal of the program is to foster the creation of legible, efficient and
elegant braille music scores by anyone, sighted or not. You do not have to
be familiar with braille or braille music to use the program, but users can
learn the basic elements of both as they work with the utility.

Scores created in the utility can be saved on a user's computer for future
editing, or exported as a BRF file for embossing.

While I designed the utility with sighted users in mind, it is also 100%
compliant with screen readers like VoiceOver and JAWS. I am sighted and do
not use a screen reader regularly, so I'm especially interested in how well
it works with this interface.

Anyway, more information is available at the link above; there is a User
Guide there and a Quick Start for Screen Reader Users as well. The utility
is still in development, and will continue to improve based on any feedback
I receive. Thanks!

Dr. Toby W. Rush - trush1 at udayton.edu <trush1 at notes.udayton.edu>
Assistant Professor of Music Theory and Technology
University of Dayton
"Omnia voluntaria est."