[musictlk] unified english braille

Brunhilde Merk-Adam braillebeats at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 17:32:07 UTC 2015

FYI - NLS blog from today.

  Braille Graphic Scores

January 22, 2015by Katie Rodda
<http://blogs.loc.gov/nls-music-notes/author/krodda/>

If you had ever been a music student, then you have no doubt come across
the /Norton Anthology of Western Music/. This tome compiles the standard
repertoire of Western art music presented in history, theory, and
performance classes, and describes the music with historical notes and
other contextual information.

For some time, the Music Section of the National Library Service for the
Blind and Physically Handicapped
<http://www.loc.gov/nls/music/?loclr=blognls> (NLS) has had the older
editions of this canonical item, but we did not have the sixth edition,
which adds more music and a third volume dedicated solely to Twentieth
Century music.

But, we are happy to announce that the third volume of the /Norton
Anthology/ sixth edition was just added to the NLS collection
<http://www.loc.gov/nls/catalog/?loclr=blognls> this month.

The scope of this volume is something worth noting. As previous editions
had clumped all music from the Classical era to the Modern era, it gave
little mention of modern avant-garde classical composers. The sixth
volume, however, contains music from many more Twentieth Century
composers, including Duke Ellington, Scott Joplin, Morton Feldman,
Karlheinz Stockhausen, Arvo Pärt, and György Ligeti, among others.

Besides being an integral addition to our holdings, it is also a
brilliant feat of braille music transcribing (done by transcriber
Christina Davidson <http://www.ctdcreations.com>), as it is over 20
volumes with some of the hardest-to-transcribe music scores. Such pieces
as /Projection I for Cello/ by Morton Feldman and Penderecki’s /Threnody
to the Victims of Hiroshima/ use graphic scores or altered notation,
which do not follow the rules of standard music notation.

Feldman’s piece in particular, which uses geometric figures over the
course of a graphically represented x-axis of time, cannot be
transcribed at all into standard braille music encoding. Standard
braille music notation is inherently linear; that is, all information
that is conveyed to the musician is laid out in a horizontal fashion, as
one would read words.

In Feldman’s piece, each rectangle represents a different timbre to be
produced on the cello. The location of each rectangle (whether low,
middle, or high) represents the general pitch that the soloist should be
playing, and whether the cello should be plucking the strings
(pizzicato) or using the bow (arco).

A Sim-Braille (braille font) excerpt of the Morton Feldman piece
"Projections I"
<http://blogs.loc.gov/nls-music-notes/files/2015/01/blog-10-photo-cropped2.jpg>

[Insert:  graphic]  A Sim-Braille (braille font) excerpt of the Morton
Feldman piece “Projections I.” Thisimage shows what the braille on the
page for this piece would look like.  End insert.]

To get around this problem, the transcriber described these inherently
visual scores through text, as well as by providing the score as a
tactile graphic. Tactile graphics are common in braille to aid in
reading an inherently visual resource, such as a map or a graph. The
example of the tactile graphic score for this particular piece is
exhibited above.

Twentieth Century music is an indelible part of Western art music
history, and the third volume of the /Norton Anthology/ sixth edition
shows just how impactful this era of music has been to the modern age.
The music section of NLS <http://www.loc.gov/nls/music/?loclr=blognls>
is committed to ensuring that all music, specifically such inherently
visual material as graphic scores, is as accessible for the blind
community as it is for the sighted.

The third volume of the /Norton Anthology of Western Music /can be
ordered from the NLS Music Section
<http://www.loc.gov/nls/music/?loclr=blognls> with catalog number BRM
36037, and is also available for download from BARD (Braille and Audio
Reading Download) <http://nlsbard.loc.gov/?loclr=blognls>.

Posted in: Braille
<http://blogs.loc.gov/nls-music-notes/category/braille/>, Braille Music
<http://blogs.loc.gov/nls-music-notes/category/braille-music-2/>,