[musictlk] Opportunity for Blind and Low Vision Musicians: Enchanted Hills Camp Summer Music Academy 2015 [cross-posted]

Bill billlist1 at verizon.net
Fri May 1 16:16:52 UTC 2015

Passing on the following message from the Director of Enchanted Hills Camp
and his staff.  Please forward to anyone who might benefit from
participation. It's definitely time to make your summer plans.

.

Do you know a young blind or low vision musician?  Are you one  yourself?
Find out what it means to be a blind musician at Enchanted Hills Camp's
Music Academy, August 3 to 9!

This session will be led by some of our nation's best teachers. Singers as
well as those who play instruments are welcome at our summer Music Academy
at Enchanted Hills.

After a hugely successful debut in 2014, the LightHouse will partner for a
second year with Dancing Dots, the world's leading provider of accessible
music technology for the blind, to bring our summertime Music Academy back
to the redwoods. The Academy is open to young, motivated blind and low
vision musicians from around the nation who are 14 to 25 years old.

Bill McCann, President and Founder of Dancing Dots, will spend the entire
week with the aspiring musicians. McCann, blind himself, will lead a team of
four blind instructors and technicians to teach the latest and greatest
techniques for blind and low vision students. Also returning is former
camper and current EHC staff member Shane

Dittmar, who will bring his energy and talent to teaching what he loves
most.

Each day, small groups of 4 or 5 campers will rotate through sessions with
instructors in a few key areas. The groups will meet to hone their skills in
reading music in braille or magnified print, learning how to use accessible
music technology to enter, revise, and print or braile out their musical
ideas, and getting a solid introduction to producing multi-track sound
recordings independently. We'll form a chorus to apply the skill of reading
music while singing. Of course, there will also be time each day to take a
swim or explore the lovely grounds of the Enchanted Hills Camp, join in
informal jam sessions with fellow campers and staff, and take part in
after-dinner listening sessions.

Featuring Special Guests

Special guest musicians and presenters from Napa and the Bay Area will come
in to share their experience and expertise. And you will have the
opportunity to perform on our new Redwood Grove Theater Stage in our closing
concert.

When: Monday, August 3 through Sunday, August 9

Where: Enchanted Hills Camp for the Blind, Napa

Cost for the week,

all-inclusive: $300 (If the registration fee is a barrier, let us know; some
scholarships will be available.)

To sign up, contact Taccarra Burrell at 415-694-7318 or

tburrell at lighthouse-sf.org<mailto:tburrell at lighthouse-sf.org or go to

the Enchanted Hills page on our website:

http://lighthouse-sf.org/programs/enchanted-hills/