[musictlk] playing piano by ear

Kelsey Nicolay piano.girl0299 at gmail.com
Sun May 31 17:31:06 UTC 2015

Hello,
I know many people (sighted and blind) who can hear a song a few
times and immediately figure out the chords to play it on piano.
I took lessons and learning by rote, but my teacher had the sheet
music and was telling me what notes to play.  However, I'd like
to be able to play piano without sheet music since it is a lot of
work to get it transcribed.  Therefore, I am curious as to how
people can play any song without even looking at sheet music.  I
know many of the songs on the radio today use several instruments
in addition to the piano, so it's hard to pick out the chords.
Therefore, does an acoustic recording help?
Thank you,
Kelsey Nicolay