[musictlk] Sight Rhythms with Conducting Question

Rachael Abbott rachael.rachelle at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 03:40:50 UTC 2015

Hello Everyone on the List,
 I was hoping some of you might have some good advice for me.

Right now I am completing some credits at a community college to  transfer to a four year university.  I am hoping to major in Music Education for Elementary students.  In my Music Theory 3 and 4 classes we had to present sight singing and sight rhythm exercises.  Since I am only able to see one measure at a time I have been memorizing the exercises to present.  For the sight rhythm assignments my teacher requires that we conduct.

I have never seen conducting and there is no class at the community college only for conducting.  My first two music theory classes did not require conducting for the sight rhythms.  I told my teacher that I would like to learn conducting and I know it is a skill I need.  I explained it will take me time to implement the skill because right now it is messing with my memorization.  I mean that once I have it memorized I try to implement the conducting but then I am thinking about where my had is and the beat and I mess up the rhythm.

My teacher does not care.  My teacher is really pushing and pressuring me to complete my sight rhythm assignments.  If I present without conducting I start at 80%.  So if I present perfectly I can only get an 80%.

How have others learned conducting?  Has anyone presented sight rhythms with conducting and how did you learn?  What is the best way to learn conducting?  Is there any accommodations I can ask for?  Should I take this issue to the disability support services office and ask for extended time as an accommodation?  How should I handle this situation?

Any feedback or insight would be most appreciated.

Thanks everyone!!!!
Best,
Rachael