[musictlk] Electronic Keyboard Questions

Richard Holloway rholloway1966 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 1 13:25:33 UTC 2015

Well… there isn’t a particular budget. If the solution is good I’ll find a way to finance it. If that delays us a few weeks or a couple of months, then it does...

We’re after a wide variety of quality and interesting sounds. We already have several synths, and I want something better. We have a YPG-625 with about 500 sounds that are nice to play with, but many are somewhat “cheesy,” for lack of a better term. The nice thing is she can easily scroll through them to explore, and can punch in the number of a particular sound once she knows the number. Apart from that, and single-button access to the main piano sound which is a tolerable, but not super high-quality, the keyboard seems somewhat basic sounding and run-of-the mill. The built-in speakers are handy, but moderate quality as well, so usually an external monitor is more appropriate, just like with higher-end solutions we have as well as those we are considering.

Garage band through voiceover accessed with our Akai 88-key midi controller is also fun to explore, but the sounds are also somewhat limiting. Absynth has better sounds (and lots of them), but does not seem to be as accessible, (also through VoiceOver on a Mac). We have worked with Garage Band and Absynth quite a bit.

Then we have a Korg Radias with some really cool sounds for particular applications. It is a Rack Module so we have to access it through a midi keyboard to play. MIDI connection is not a problem. Accessing the sounds, however, is not so convenient— the easiest access is with a scrolling knob through quite a few sounds (a couple hundred maybe?)— it is hard to keep track of where you are, and then adjusting sound parameters with roughly 100 tightly packed knobs is really challenging, so mostly she uses the defaults.

We also have a Korg c720. That’s probably the most accessible keyboard we’ve had so far, with the best sounds, and a nice feeling keybed, but there is a limited range of more traditional sounds. She likes to play rock songs that sometimes have little to do with the limited sounds in the 720.

I was liking the sounds from a Roland Fantom FA series pretty well (either the 06 or the 08, sounds are the same, one is synth-action, one is hammer-action) and the controls seemed fairly accessible though I’d much prefer she have a way to control through a computer interface or such since nobody seems to offer an interface with a refreshable braille display. I’m not sure of what computer control is possible, or of there is an accessible iPod interface, etc.

What she is liking them most sound-wise is a Korg Kronos, and I agree that the sounds are great. I’m trying to get her in front of one some more to see how well she can navigate the sounds on her own. The sequencing and sampling features look quite hard to access to me— after only a brief review— but the synth sounds appear fairly accessible based on initial exploration. I can see why she likes the sounds— they have some spot-on patches already setup for things like Rush’s "Tom Sawyer" as well as “Signals", Van Halen, Alan Parsons, The Who, Pink Floyd, and many more…

All of these presets are really distinctive patches, plus there are classics like various Fender Rhodes sounds, Hammond Organs, and of corse several nice traditional Grand Piano sounds … There are fine sounding drum kits— great guitar sounds, bass sounds, string pads, brass sounds— you name it— impressive stuff.

The question (after accessibility issues) then does become cost. These can range from the $2000’s to nearly $4000. I’d prefer to stay in the lower cost range of that really, but before we hammer out which specific model is best, I’d like to know more about the accessibility, and the best approach to sort through the 2000 or so sounds in the unit. I think that, like on the Fantom, they can be accessed in-groups by selecting the right button and then scrolling through perhaps 100 or so, but again, I’d love it if she could read (or be told audibly) the names and access numbers of particular sounds through some sort of interface.

That may be TOO much information, but that’s where I am in this process, since you asked for more details.

Thanks!

Richard