[musictlk] Recovering Albums and Songs from iTunes

Richard Holloway rholloway1966 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 5 16:27:44 UTC 2015

There are quite a few reasons this can happen, but since you mentioned music you "downloaded from youtube” I’m wondering if you may have music that you didn’t pay for on your device, as I’m not aware of any sources to download licensed music through sources like that.

If you have items that were “free downloads” (apart from a few legitimate free items that are distributed as free song of the week, etc., through iTunes) your problem may be tied to “DRM”. When you setup the free trial, Apple probably enabled a check of all DRM files on your system and de-authroized files it believe not to be licensed for your device.

DRM is Digital Rights Management— this is protection that is intended to make certain that only those who actually pay for downloaded music legitimately are the ones using it. The DRM usage is somewhat controversial, but the basic reasoning is sound. People tend to take music without paying for it, and this reduces the royalties paid to the people who make and produce the music.

If this is music you actually bought, it can also get mixed up if you bought through multiple accounts and there is a process to merge those purchases, but if these were downloaded from various locations for free, or given to you by friends, (no matter if they bought them properly not), you’re probably going to have DRM issues, because while your friend’s  iTunes may have authorization to use the files, your account won’t as you did’t buy them. That’s essentially what happens when people post downloaded mp3’s as well— you cannot share a single user license.

Whenever possible, I try to buy actual CD’s and then add those to iTunes because the DRM should not be an issue if I move songs between my own personal computers and iDevices in any manor, and in particular, if something goes amiss, I can always reload the songs from the CD’s which I legitimately own.

There can also be issues with songs you are licensed to use if they get hung up because their status is “waiting” to transfer from the cloud when files get moved about between machines or due to software changes, etc., and some other causes too.

This can be pretty complicated, so it is somewhat like calling a mechanic and asking why your car doesn’t run. All he can really do is guess...

I’d suggest reading up more on DRM from various web sources and then going forward from that point…

Good luck...