[musictlk] From Casey Harper

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Tue Apr 26 00:24:22 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Casey tried unsuccessfully to subscribe here, and asked me to post
the following. Please do not post your answers to this list, but
contact her directly at the email address given at the end of her message.

Hello: Attn all advanced guitarists who are totally or partially
blind!I am a totally blind intermediate guitar player searching for a
way to advance my playing skills. I currently understand and play
basic major and  minor chords in first position, shaped and bar
chords, and how to use a capo to change keys.  I'd like to locate a
comprehensive audio format chord fingering chart that includes:
augmented, diminished, 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th, sus2, sus4, etc. chords
for all note names.  This way, I could play guitar in all positions,
in all keys, with all chords without the use of a capo if I
wanted/needed to do so.  If an audio version of this chord fingering
chart for the guitar exists, please let me know where to find
it/purchase/borrow it.  I'd like it to describe chords as follows,
string number, fret number, finger number starting with first string
and working up to sixth string without skipping strings.  For
instance, A major would be: first string open, second string second
fret third finger, third string second fret second finger, fourth
string second fret first finger, fifth string open, sixth string
open.  If a chord is barred it would say which strings are barred at
what fret with what finger.  If such an audio chart is not available,
is there a way to learn the fingerings without having to interpret
the braill music symbols, and if so, how does one use/understand that
learning system.  Although I understand the string, fret, finger
braille music symbols and can interpret them to understand the chord,
it is quite a lot of steps to read the chord symbols for the chord
for all fingers, interpret it, remember it in the time between the
chart and guitar, place all fingers in position on the guitar in the
right position etc.; there's got to be a better way to learn and a
more efficient way as well. Unfortunately, I do not have a guitar
teacher and must be self-taught. Please assist me to the best of your
ability! Thank you. Please email me directly offlist at
Shenmbc at aol.com with any response to this request.  Thank you and
have a wonderful day! Casey