[musictlk] Trouble With my Boombox

Richard Holloway rholloway1966 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 22 03:58:30 UTC 2016

If the power itself really is flickering on and off, it is not just a dirty lens on the CD player.

Many of those boxes use a detachable style of power cord that is a kind of “universal” cable. Those can work loose over time. Unplug the power from the boom box if it has that sort of a cable, then re-seat it. For that matter, be certain the power is into the wall or power strip firmly, the any power strip is properly turned on (not sitting with the switch halfway on) and all those sorts of things.

There’s one more thing with those cords that is harder to manage. It usually happens when things get moved and the power cord itself gets swapped with a similar one. Some players have a little switch inside the plug to switch between AC (wall power) and batteries. When there are no batteries (or the batteries are too weak) and the switch moves too far, the power shuts off— a slightly small diameter on the power plug can trip the switch when that should not happen. To test for that, gently wiggle the power cord side to side (towards and away from the flat sides of the plug) gently to try and force the problem to occur. Press in as you do this, so you’re not slowly unplugging the unit as you test. The fix there is to wedge something thin and NON-conductive to keep the power cord tight against the plug. Think of a piece of electrical tape folded up for a shim, or perhaps a piece of cardstock, maybe folded a time or two (as needed). Do NOT use metal, including aluminum foil.

I’ve worked in technical support situations over the years, and you might be amazed how often people request support when the power connection is loose, if not outright disconnected. It happens, so in case that’s the problem, don’t feel bad, and most of the people with the issues are typically sighted, so it isn’t vision-related either.

Remember that sound is produced by vibrating speakers, so while it may seem like nothing is moving anything on the box, the vibrations (especially of the bass) are shaking the entire machine while it plays, and of corse there may also be other movement or vibration moving the power cord, ever so slightly.

The CD cleaner is also a good idea if the power issue gets resolved but the CD player keeps stopping. What you don’t want to do is manually clean anything inside the CD compartment. That’s not a good idea if you’re blind OR typically sighted. The moving lens and other parts are fragile and precisely aligned. Once they get bent or broken, the machine is basically a large paperweight, or maybe still usable as a radio, if so equipped.

You’re not at all likely to get shocked in a CD compartment just by touching, but you’re quite likely to (at the very least) smudge oil from your finger onto the lens of the reading assembly and make things worse, if you don’t physically damage parts.

I hope that helps.

Good luck!