[musictlk] Learning to Be More Visualy Pleasing re Performance

Dani Pagador axs.brl at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 08:00:02 UTC 2016

Hi, Everyone.
This week's lesson covers performance: using the face and hands, and
possibly body/gestures, to communicate the story behind the song. The
teacher is hoping for a video of the assignment submission--the
majority of the students, me included, have submitted audio recordings
for the past eight lessons. I am quaking in my boots and want to toss
cookies at the idea of having to do a video recording.

I suck wind when it comes to movement. I've got rhythm, yes. But I'm
not comfortable gesturing or moving on stage because nothing ever
happens the same twice. So I just stand in front of the mic and sing;
I'm assuming I have an OK facial expression, because no one's said
otherwise. But there's a lot people _don't tell you when you're blind
for fear of hirting your feelings, or because they don't really know
how to help you ... be more visually appealing ... once they've said
something. I know I'll never look like a sighted performer. But dog
gone it, how do I get past the anxiety that comes with looking blind,
knowing it, and not being able to do a thing to help it?

And dog gone those sightlings. When we go to concerts/performances,
_we have to be satisfied with descriptions like "there are singers and
dancers, and they look so awesome . ... wish you could've seen it, you
would've enjoyed it."; we get to listen to the music, feel the rhythm,
 and let our ears help us imagine just exactly what we missed.

If it were up to me, I'd dim all the lights and be on stage with the
music and the mic and let them imagine all they want ... have the
audio minus the visuals, bring them in to _my world as opposed to
always having to conform to theirs.

I realize I've got a lot of work I'll need to do. But I'll need to
start somewhere, so I'm grateful to be able to ask questions here and
not feel like I'm being a dope. This is 45 years of frustration
talking. Sorry you guys have to listen to the rant.

So ... what do you guys do? How do you handle performances? How do you
learn to be more visually friendly?

Thanks,
Dani