[musictlk] Learning to Be More Visualy Pleasing re Performance

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 12:41:23 UTC 2016

Hi Dani,

I understand this fear of visual aspects of performance.  I still feel
a little awkward on stage and always need to talk myself out of it.

I recommend that you consider what gestures you use when you are just
being yourself.  Those gestures and facial expressions will be all you
and can be molded to something appropriate for the stage.  You can
also learn new gestures with a trusted friend or an instructor who can
work with you.

Here's the thing that blew my mind when I learned it: sighted people
feel just as awkward on stage.  They also fear that everyone is
judging them and finding them weird on stage.  We are not alone in
this.  Yes, some sighted people work in front of a mirror and have
"perfect" movements, but sometimes those manufactured movements don't
look real.  I think this comes from knowing yourself.  When I was in
undergrad, they tried to change all my gestures and facial
expressions.  I could never get it, and I felt like a failure.  When I
began working with other professors in grad school, I learned simply
to adjust some of the gestures and facial expressions I already use.
So much more comfortable for everyone involved.

I hope this helps.