[musictlk] Tuning with harmonics

NAGDU President blind411 at verizon.net
Tue May 24 16:31:42 UTC 2016

	Tuning with harmonics is sometimes a good way to fine-tune a guitar.
First, let me share about harmonics for those of you who are unaware of
them. Harmonics are created when a string is divided. (That's the best way
to describe it!) The string vibrates in two different places, creating the
harmonics. There are three places to divide the strings: At the fifth,
seventh, and twelfth frets. To play a harmonic, touch the string directly
over the fret - do not depress it, just touch it. While touching the string,
pluck it. It will create a bell-like sound. You can create other harmonics,
as well, but this technique is a bit more advanced.

	To tune a guitar using harmonics, play the fifth fret harmonic of
the lower string and the seventh fret harmonic of the next string. These two
pitches should be the same. If you listen closely to the harmonic, when it
is out of tune you will also hear what is referred to as "beat harmonics".
You will actually be able to hear the vibrations beat against each other
when not in tune. Continue this process for each higher pitched string. The
only place this will not work is tuning the 2nd string (B) since the fifth
and seventh harmonics are perfect fourths and the 2nd & 3rd strings are
major thirds. If you have any questions about this, please do not hesitate
to ask for clarification.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala