[musictlk] karaoke suggestions

Kelsey Nicolay piano.girl0299 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 01:38:31 UTC 2016

Hello,
I know this is not exactly blindness related, but I was hoping
someone could give some suggestions.  My company is holding a
karaoke contest through the end of the month.  I am judging this
one, but it sounds like they are planning to have another one in
the spring and I would like to try to participate as a
contestant.  I am not sure what I should sing though.  I would
rather avoid songs that are on the current charts because they
are always played on the radio, but I want to sing something the
audience will recognize and sing along with.  So far, no one has
done anything that's on the current airplay charts.  The newest
song that was done was from I think 2015 or the end of 2014 when
they did an Ed Sherrin song.  Song selections have been from a
wide variety of genres.  I am a fan of country music, so I think
I would like to do something from this genre.  I am leaning
toward a song from the 90's and early 200's, but I think I would
avoid songs like Breathe by Faith Hill and Independence Day by
Martina McBride because I don't think I could do them justice.  I
want something upbeat and fun that most people will recognize and
be able to sing along with.  I'd also love to do a song that I
can get some crowd participation on.  I was thinking maybe Heads
Carolina, Tails California by Jo Dee Messina, but any other
suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  If I participate, I
would need a song for the preliminary round and one for the
finals if I make it.  The newest I would go in the country genre
would be 2013 or 2014.
Thank you,
Kelsey Nicolay