[musictlk] {Spam?} re: looking for ideas

Chase Crispin chase.crispin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 19:23:34 UTC 2016

Hi Sandra,
I am late replying to this email but I hope some of my thoughts are still
able to help you.

1. Registration: If you digitized all names, contact information, dues
paid, and other necessary information and kept that in a spreadsheet, you
should be able to fill out this paperwork on your computer/note taker as
the members of the section come to you. Just have them tell you their name
which you can write down. If they pay via cash, use a money reader app on
your smart phone if you have one to verify the amount. Checks are a little
trickier, but you can check them off your list when they hand you a check
and confirm the amount with a sighted person later. Note the order that
checks are received if that is helpful.

2. Attendance: I have had sighted directors do attendance in a way that
works well for blind individuals as well. Read the list of names to the
people in your section in alphabetical order. Ask them to memorize the last
name of the person immediately before and after them on the list. To take
attendance, call out the name of the first person on your list and have
them say their last name. Once the members of your section know who is
before and after them, they simply say their last names in order as you
follow along on the roster. If there is a gap in names, you know that
person is absent. You state their name so the attendance can continue in
order. It does require a bit of navigation at first as the members learn
where they fit in the lineup but ultimately is very efficient.

5. Information: Depending on your style, you may either want to record
rehearsal and take notes later or bring a note taker or slate and stylus to
rehearsal to write down the notes that need to be passed along. Type up
these notes later and email them to your section members, or print these
notes and distribute them at the next rehearsal. Email will be your best
method of communication with your section.

The sponsorship/donation items would be a bit tricky, but if those aren't
part of your job I think you could be an excellent section leader. I have
been a section leader in a few ensembles and have had similar duties. If
there is any way I can help you, please let me know.
Thanks,

Chase Crispin