[musictlk] recording: Reaping with OSARA

NAGDU President blind411 at verizon.net
Wed Apr 26 18:42:02 UTC 2017

Dear All,

	I want to let everyone know a bit about the idfferences between
Audacity and other Digital Audio Work Stations (DAWS). Audacity is a fully
functional multi-track recorder and it works well with JAWS. The challenge
is that is does not work well with audio interfaces, as you get a lot of
latency when overdubbing to additional tracks unless you are using the
on-board sound card. Most audio interfaces use the ASIO drivers and, as
mentioned, Audacity has such a high latency it is impossible to record
additional tracks while listening to the ones already recorded. Latency
refers to the time it takes for what you are recording to process through
the mic, the software, and be heard in your ears.

	An excellent alternative is a DAWS called REAPER and a digital audio
interface. Reaper is a fully functional DAWS available on an evaluation
basis for 60 days. The reality is that you could evaluate it forever,
something I believe is unethical but it could be done. The evaluation
version is the full version; it is not a stripped down program and it will
not lose functionality as you use it like some other products. I know Sonar
and CakeTalk will run you nearly $1000 but you can get REAPER for $65 and
the JAWS scripts, known as OSARA for free. There is also an awesome course
called "Reaping with OSARA" YOU CAN TAKE FOR ONLY $150. If anyone is
interested in learning more about REAPER and OSARA or the course, please
feel free to write to me off-list to

Swampfox1833 at verizon.net

Also, if there are any people interested in some online collaboration of
music, I would like to chat with you, as well!

Fraternally yours,
Marion

Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc. (NAGDU)
National Federation of the Blind
(813) 626-2789
President at NAGDU.ORG

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind  people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you back.