[musictlk] Playing by ear

Darnell Johnson dj.benz_304 at icloud.com
Wed Aug 2 20:10:34 UTC 2017

I play a lot of good songs on the keyboard by ear. I like to play hip-hop, R&B, gospel, and other kinds of music. If I listen to the song, I will be able to get it. And that's the beauty of playing by ear. In fact, here in Princeton West Virginia, I have a pastor of a church who has decided to let me sing and play the song at the same time. So therefore, I really do have to learn to play by ear. And, I do it.
Our pastor wants me to learn sovereign. That is one of the best songs that I have heard from Daryl Coley, and I haven't heard it before. But now, I have. But I still need to learn it. And I have it on CD that the pastor has given me, it's just a matter of where it is in one of my C e-books.
I still have an interest in actually learning how to play a Hammond B3, or C3 Oregon. And so, when I do play the keyboard, I see the simulations, but it doesn't be playing the real Hammond. But I do play by ear on a lot of songs. And, if I'm going to play a Hammond B3, I'm either going to have to do gospel, or R&B. The Hammond B3 or C-3 is very soulful, and beautiful.
It just so happens on my Yamaha keyboard. I'm sorry let me do that again. It just so happens that on my Yamaha keyboard, I am learning the maple leaf rag by Scott Joplin. That song is actually on the keyboard, and I'm still learning it.

Sent from my iPad