[musictlk] How can I take part in a class?

Tom tom.cramer1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 18:43:23 UTC 2017

Hello,

I'm new to this list and have no idea if this topic has been discussed
before.

I love music and want to take some music classes in college.  I play around
with a couple of instruments but this is both a music theory class and
focuses on general music skills.

I have a very basic knowledge of Braille music, but I don't really know if
it's used all that much.

One of the big things in this class is dealing with learning about rhythm
and how to read and interpret it.  It will be a unit.  The teacher will be
covering or giving exercises where the student sight reads and performs
rhythm without the instrument.  It's a clapping thing, which he seems to be
a big fan of.  It will get complicated as it moves forward.

Can I as a blind person take part in such a class with such a unit?  What
would I do?  I don't really want to get out of doing the work, but how would
I be able to study the rhythmic patterns and perform them, unless I don't
clap them out, right?

I'm guessing I'll have to do things very differently, but I'm looking for
ideas.  Thank you.

Tom