[musictlk] tuning guitar

NAGDU President blind411 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 3 22:43:45 UTC 2017

Andrew,

	You have received a little info about tuning a guitar by ear. I
sometimes use the old-fashioned methods of tuning the "A" (5th) string to a
tuning fork and then closing the string on the 5th fret to tune in fourths.
BTW, the perfect fourth is the interval you sing in the first two notes of
Auld Lange Syne. The only difference,as already stated, is that the interval
between the third and second strings are major thirds, so you close the "g"
(3rd) string on the fourth fret to tune the '"B" or 2nd string.

	Now, for your question of electronic tuners. I am relying on mine
more now because I am doing more recording and want my instrument perfectly
tuned and on pitch so it sounds consistent from take to take. There are a
couple options. I have the Paw Paw Talking Tuner on my iPhone, but I have
found the frequency of the 6th string to be flat a bit. My choice is the
Boss TU-80 which you can purchase at any music store for about $35. I have
two of them; one I keep in my case and the other I keep on the shelf in my
studio. This tuner chirps when you are on pitch. You need to make sure you
are on the right pitch, though! I once tuned my entire guitar a major 2nd
low and my keyboard player thought something was very wrong with her
keyboard because my tuner didn't lie! It wasn't until my drummer (who also
plays keys and guitar) looked over at my tuner and told me it was on pitch
just not the right pitch!HTH!

Marion Gwizdala

Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc. (NAGDU)
National Federation of the Blind
(813) 626-2789
President at NAGDU.ORG

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind  people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you back.