[musictlk] Learning shape-note

Jessie Mabry jessiekirchner at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 16:25:27 UTC 2017

Hello,

Wonder if anyone has any experience learning shape-note or sacred harp tunes, or participating in singings and conventions. I have sung in choirs  and am used to learning by ear. I can also get through Braille music scores, albeit very slowly. However, considering how many hundreds of shape-note hymns are out there and how tightly the parts intertwine, I am concerned that I will show up at singings and then just be lost the whole time with all the words and syllables flying by. It seems like a different kind of experience than learning classical pieces. I'd appreciate hearing from any fellow enthusiasts who are considering participating or have done it before.

Thanks,
Jessie