[musictlk] Random question regarding instruments

Michael bonsai1b at bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 2 15:46:58 UTC 2017

As a ten year old boy I got interested in playing in a band the elementary
school was providing and I chose to play the flute.  I had in my head that
us boys in the neighborhood would form a drum, bugle, and fife corps, so my
choice in music was strictly made from a "play" perspective.  But I got
serious about flute and eventually learned to play saxophone and bassoon
also.  I played professionally for a few years and gave it up to finish
college and then pharmacy school.  I began playing guitar for  the reasons
mentioned already.  I could play an entire composition, adding the melody
into the chord progression, allowing me to play solo without the aid of
backup tracks.  This style is called chord melody or fingerstyle guitar.  It
gives me a lot of independence in my playing and provides a nice sound for
me and others.  I still pick up the flute from time to time but find that I
want backing tracks to accompany me.  A good understanding of music theory
expands music horizons exponentially, and this is best learned in my opinion
with piano or guitar.

Michael