[MusicTlk] Networking in the music field.

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Wed May 2 23:47:00 UTC 2018

Hi Lisa,

Advertise.  Ask to play specials in your church.  Put your name
in at your local music store, if there is one, and in surrounding
areas too.  If there is a music club in your area, join it.  Play
in area Senior Centers and retirement and nursing homes.  Ask at
Christmastime to play in the mall.  Get a friend to ring the
Salvation Army bell for the kettle while you play, hopefully
inside! Giving recitals has nothing to do with where your teacher
is.  It's all about doing a lot of volunteer performances so that
you are heard.  Word of mouth works, and in some venues you could
ask for a free-will offering rather than a set fee; you'll most
likely get more money that way.  I say all this from experience,
mostly with voice in my case, and I hope it helps.

Blessings,

Linda