[MusicTlk] Editing Keyboard Sounds Accessibly

Richard Holloway rholloway1966 at comcast.net
Wed May 23 15:41:04 UTC 2018

After a good bit of research, I had the impression that all of the current MOTIF-based Yamaha keyboards would let you edit sounds with an app on an iOS device, like an iPad. Apparently the Yamaha "Performance" app actually will not work with the MX keyboards despite them being based the MOTIF sounds and technology. I had emailed Yamaha to ask several weeks ago, but never got a direct reply, so I took a leap of faith.

My question is if anyone knows of a similar solution for an MX keyboard, or if in fact anyone has used this software on a higher-end MOTIF unit (this shows to work on MOTIF XF, MOX, MOTIF XS,  and MOXF keyboards as well as the s90XS/ s70XS).

I want to know if this is something worth fighting to make work— is using it with Voiceover and possibly refreshable braille helpful for editing sounds? My daughter wants better access to know what sounds she has selected (the names of the sounds) and to modify various parameters without sighted assistance. I totally get it. She has a Korg Kronos that she loves the sounds on, but she can only select sounds. Modifying them at all is pretty much impossible, so I find myself on a mission to locate a decent accessible solution.

If fact info on any particularly accessible keyboards with a big range of quality sounds would be much appreciated.

Thanks!