[MusicTlk] a beginner again

Ella Yu ellaxyu at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 17:58:59 UTC 2018

I'm not a guitarist, but I do play violin and viola so I do
understand some of the issues here to an extent.  Knowing where
the notes are is something that comes with practice over a period
of time as you build muscle memory.  I would try doing lots of
slow practice and/or play scales to get an idea of where the
notes are.  If you are having trouble moving your hands and
fingers fluently and accurately, it could be because you're
squeezing the neck extremely hard.  I don't think it's a good
idea to squeeze the neck, namely with the thumb muscle.  This
squeezing actually inhibits the precise and controlled movement
of the fingers.  Yes, the finger joints have to be firm in order
to press the strings down, but the rest of the hand should not be
working too hind.