[MusicTlk] Question about XML music files

Bill McCann billlist1 at verizon.net
Mon Oct 8 13:58:48 UTC 2018

Hi,

In fact, the MusicXML interchange format for scores is one of the best developments for us blind musicians since Louis Braille's invention of his music code.  Yes, we at Dancing Dots have made software that imports MusicXML scores very well.  Once imported into our Lime notation editor, users can access the information using our talking score feature, as music braille or using special scrolling and magnification functions.  See www.DancingDots.com for more info and feel free to contact me off-list using my info at DancingDots.com address to request a no-cost evaluation version of the software.

In fact, the MusicXML standard was developed by a sighted musician, Michael Good, who recognized that a standard way to exchange score information between users of different music notation packages would be valuable.  He was correct.  Virtually all music notation programs have implemented import and/or export of scores in the MusicXML format.  As Mike J. wrote, publishers do have the ability to export scores as MusicXML and some of our customers have been successful at requesting MusicXML versions of publications which they have bought and paid for.  Here is a brief blurb about MusicXML that some members might find helpful:

To import MusicXML scores into Lime, choose “Import” under Lime’s File menu and then MusicXML.  There are a growing number of MusicXML files available for download at little or no cost.  Here are a couple of examples you can download for free followed by a list of some sites that offer MusicXML scores for download.

Excerpt from Bach's Well-tempered Klavier
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oytlljtca73t2uw/BachWellTemperedClavier.xml?dl=1

Mozart Sonata in B-Flat
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sx1ww3yssv610gl/MozartSonataInBFlat.xml?dl=1

MusicXML Sites:
A List of Sites with Sheet Music in MusicXML Format
http://www.musicxml.com/music-in-musicxml/

Note: MusicXML scores are often only available in the compressed .mxl format.  Here is your quick tutorial on how to unzip .mxl files.

Extracting MusicXML Files from the mxl Compressed Format

Download the .mxl version.

Note: You can substitute the keystroke SHIFT+F10 for "right click" in the following directions.

Press SHIFT+F10 or right click on the file and rename to .zip extension.  That is, change .mxl to .zip extension.

Now right click and choose "Extract All"

Windows should create a folder that contains the source .xml file.

Now you can run the Lime program and import:

Choose “Import” under Lime’s File menu and then choose “MusicXML.”

Browse to where you saved the MusicXML file and then click “Open.”

Lime may present a dialog asking for information such as number of measures per system.  4 is a good value for measures per system or systems per page.

Once you OK any dialogs, you should now have the score in Lime’s main music window.

If you would like to request a free evaluation version of any of our
software, please write to info at dancingdots.com .

Regards,
Bill McCann
President