[MusicTlk] Guitars

Kociaba Fitness kociabafitness at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 00:15:56 UTC 2019

Hay Tony,
Man you  are exactly where I was about 8 months ago. I hadn't played for many years and wanted to pick it up again but now without sight.  I started with a couple of pieces of tape on the back of the neck at the 5th fret, the 8th and the octave. It helped a bit but an exercise I came up with helped more.  This will both improve your ear and build muscle memory for those hand shifts, play the B on the second fret of the 5th string with your index finger then try to find it on the 6th string.   Once you can find it consistently just keep going back and forth between the two notes. First slowly and then once you hit it at least a half dozen times gradually speed it up. Do the same thing with a couple other notes until you get comfortable moving your hand. Another one I like is to just play chromaticly up one string. Fretting a note with each finger then once you have laid down your little finger shift the whole hand up and start with your index finger again. You can shift your hand at least twice before you get up into the really close frets then reverse the process.  This one works well with a metronome.  Actually both exercises do. The metronome will help you keep things moving at a smooth tempo.
Good luck
And most importantly have fun.
Bill