[MusicTlk] ways to cue VI percussionist in band

Bill McCann billlist1 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 10 18:44:59 UTC 2020

Having a cooperative conductor is always a blessing.  But some people might
go so far as to say that a cooperative conductor is an oxymoron.

But seriously now, if your student reads braille, a braille music score can
be transcribed to show bar numbers in the margin.  When I was playing in
ensembles in college and high school, I always kept the braille score on my
music stand.  Having the bar numbers in the margin really helped me to know
where to start when the conductor would say something like "OK, let's start
at bar 57."  The braille score also served as a safety net during
performances if I should have a memory lapse while counting measures until
my next entrance.

I agree that a haptic baton will be a very useful thing.  It will enable us
to enter right on the downbeat with confidence.  But it will not tell us
which bar of music in our part is which.

If the student is low vision, one handy feature of Lime Lighter is that a
two-finger single tap brings up a Go to Bar dialog.  For example, on the
large number pad that appears, you would touch 5, then 7, then the Go to Bar
button and, boom, you are positioned at measure 57.

Bill McCann
Dancing Dots

Tel: +1 610-783-6692
www.DancingDots.com