[MusicTlk] Carbon Fiber instruments

Mike Jolls mrspock56 at hotmail.com
Fri May 29 18:42:33 UTC 2020

This is a question about carbon fiber guitars mostly, but it could be expanded to other carbon fiber instruments.

My understanding of using carbon fiber to make guitars was to REDUCE the price of the instruments.  The material was supposed to have great promise from an acoustic point of view, and it was supposed to be cheaper.  Rather than making the guitars with rare and expensive tone woods, carbon fiber was to lower the price of instruments.  When I looked at some carbon fiber guitars on Facebook and YouTube, their price point came in at around $2500 and up (no different than good traditional guitars).  I would have hoped that using the CF would have caused the price to go down, maybe by $500 or $1000 so that the instruments were more affordable.

I also saw a video on a carbon fiber grand piano.  It priced out at about $250,000 (American).  Here, the same question applies.

So what’s the deal with carbon fiber instruments?  Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks