[MusicTlk] Newzik - music application

Mike Jolls mrspock56 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 24 18:43:45 UTC 2020

To all partially sighted musicians

Has anybody seen or used the NewZik application?  It’s an app that allows you to scan (actually take photos) and import the photos of your music into the app.  I’m purely speaking about the iPad here.  Once scanned and stored, the music is displayed as a full sheet that takes up your entire iPad screen.  I believe the music is stored on a server in an account.  That means you can take the photos from your phone, but then import them into your iPad and leverage the larger screen size.

The main drawback is that even taking up the entire screen, what is displayed is still not large enough for me to see with the naked eye (from a low vision perspective).  That’s on my iPad.  I have to use my telescopic glasses (6 power) to be able sit at any reasonable distance and view the music.

I’ve thought about using the NewZik app on say, an 26” iMac.  I’m told by Apple accessibility group that the iMac can be detached from the stand and it can be mounted on the wall.  Perhaps it could be mounted on a music stand with some sort of holder.  If this could be done, the iMac could be a portable solution you could take to gigs.  It would also mean that you’d have a solution to enlarging music without spending an arm and a leg or having a specialized application.  For example, if you already had an iMac and you played music, you might be able to use this app and the iMac screen without having to invest any more money.

I believe NewZik stores your music on a server, not your device.  If that’s true (I can check it out further) then you could take the pictures on your iPhone, and then import the music on your iMac.  That would mean no more work transferring the music from your phone to the iMac.  And you would leverage the size of your iMac and give you the convenience of your phone.

I’m just new to NewZik, but it sounds like it might be promising.  If it worked on the iMac, that would mean you wouldn’t need to go out and buy a specialized piece of hardware and/or software that might be big bucks.

Has anybody heard of this, and what are your thoughts?

Mike Jolls