[MusicTlk] Two quick questions about learning piano pieces and getting better at Braille music

kociabafitness at gmail.com kociabafitness at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 16:04:43 UTC 2021

Hi Joe,
I am going to butt in here. I play sax and guitar but no piano. The reason
for practicing scales,  arpeggios  and other patterns is to get your fingers
and ears trained to recognize certain sounds.  My guitar teacher used to
make me learn different scales then he would show me a piece of a song that
fell right over that scale.  He made me practice the dorian scale then
showed me the first solo of a santana song and I picked it right up as it
was just right there. Also you need to know the notes in a particular key in
order to know how to construct the chords of that key etc. I know its not
fun but if you want to get to the point where you can pick things up easily
and can usually guess where they are going you need to know the notes and
how they fit.
Sorry for butting in but the email just jumped out to me.
Best
Bill