[MusicTlk] What's the official name of this chord?

Christopher Gilland clgilland07 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 20:49:26 UTC 2022

So, was just over here playing around on my keyboard a bit and for some
reason, I was inspired to play the opening rif to Stairway to Heaven by
Led Zeppelin, which is interesting as I absolutely vehemently can not
*stand!* their stuff!

Anyway, I know the first chord is an A miner first inversion, A on the
bottom, then in the right hand would be middle C, E above that, then A
on top.

But then the next chord is the one I'm unsure about. I know exactly what
it is note wise and how to play it. So, for those who don't know, take
that A miner chord, so left thumb on the A below middle C, right hand
thumb on middle C, right index on the E a 3rd above middle C, then right
pinky on the A directly above middle C.

Then the next chord which is causing me issues, all you do is take your
left hand thumb from that A and move to the left hand index on A flat,
or rather, G sharp, call it what you will. So it's basically still that
A miner in the first inversion, but instead of being over the A root in
the base, you drop it down a half step to G sharp/A flat. I'm just gonna
say A flat, as we're moving lower, flattening that A.

Please know, don't tell me things like you flattened the augmented
dominant 5th over a 3rd major  tonic 11th flattened by a root 3rd add 9.
LOL! Not that that made a heck of any sense. LOL! My point is, I don't
know theory very well at all. I know extreme basic, and believe me, I
can play generally speaking like a son of a sailer, but as for why
certain chords work, or do certain things, forget it! You'll lose me
very quickly.

I know we could say an A Miner over a G# base, but does this chord have
an actual name, like something or another mager 7th, or something
diminished or whatever suspended, etc? I almost was going to say having
that G sharp in there makes me think it's some variant off an E mager
chord, but then adding that A and C in there makes me wonder.

Chris.