[MusicTlk] Calling blind performing artists for virtual benefit concert

Katelyn MacIntyre katelynmacmusic at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 03:15:35 UTC 2022

Hello Performers,
Please read below for a message from President Riccobono with a way to support blind Ukrainians. I hope many of our talented performers will participate. Details are still coming together, but I wanted to share this opportunity ASAP.

Calling on the National Federation of the Blind Performing Arts Division

Many in the Federation family have been asking if there is something we can do specifically to help blind people impacted by the horrific actions happening in Ukraine. We have been reaching out to our friends in the World Blind Union and in the global community of blind people and have identified an important effort we intend to support. Read below to understand how you can bring your talents as a member of the NFB Performing Arts Division to the effort.

On Saturday April 16 at 2, PM Eastern time the global online blind community is joining for a benefit concert to help blind Ukrainian refugees. The National Federation of the Blind is leading US efforts to participate in this concert to tell our blind friends in the Ukraine that we are “With You!”

What can you do immediately?

Here is an announcement from the initial event website. https://mushroomfm.com/WithYou

“I want to perform. How do I register my interest?
That is fantastic! The more the merrier. The event is being produced by Jaffar Sidek Ahmad, who came up with the idea of the We are With You event.
You will need to provide Jaffar with a high quality recording of your performance well ahead of the 16 April event. We also ask that you preface your performance with a brief message that introduces yourself and tells us why you decided to support Ukrainian refugees.
If you have heard well remembered past events in this genre, such as Live Aid, you know that happy music is OK, as are cover versions. Our aim is to raise as much money as we can by providing a great event, so your contribution has to be original nor does it have to have a war theme. The key thing is that we entertain people, encourage them to stick around, and give what they can.
Please discuss what you'd like to do, by sending an email to jaffar.” jaffar.sidek10 at gmail.com

Be sure to include in your performance that you are a proud member of the National Federation of the Blind and that all Federation members are with those who have been impacted.

More information coming soon

The NFB will be posting our own page for this event at nfb.org and we are working closely with the World Blind Union to make sure there is a dedicated place for funds to be directed to maximize helping blind people in need. More details will be coming very soon.

Please lend your talents to this important effort to share the love of the Federation family across the world.

Mark A. Riccobono, President

~Katelyn MacIntyre, M.M.
www.katelynmac.com
www.facebook.com/KatelynMacMusic
@KatelynMacMusic
President, National Federation of the Blind Performing Arts Division