[MusicTlk] Choir Conducting

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Fri May 6 02:52:40 UTC 2022

Hi Kelby,

I'm also coming to this late. A few years ago I used to assist our
choir director at the church I attended. This was extremely stressful
in some ways because although my main responsibility was to work with
a small group worship team, I also led the choir when our lead choir
director went out of town or whatever. I had to lead the choir on
seriously short notice sometimes, and that was... well, exciting?
Anyway, I had a strong relationship with a Braille music transcriber
at the time who was amazing and worked with me to get me the music I
needed the most. The hymns and some of the easier scores, I did the
best I could with. I worked with our accompanist and asked her
questions occasionally. I also did not memorize every part, yes, in
part because I did not have the time, but also because I did not feel
the need. Sometimes if I thought there would be a trouble spot, I
would look at it ahead of time. I knew my choir though and trusted
them to learn the music well.

I used the gestures I had been taught in choral conducting, but I also
had the kind of relationship with my church choir that I allowed them
to ask for more or less of something. They understood that I was knew
at conducting a real choir, and I trusted them to ask for something
without being mean about it. It actually worked really well, and I
will always treasure the conducting experience.

If I could get Braille music on demand and a living wage, I would
happily conduct adult choirs for the rest of my life. Ah well... Maybe
one day when I'm rich and retired... Lol I hope you enjoy your
conducting experience.

Julie

--
Julie A. McGinnity
MM Vocal Performance, 2015; American University Washington College of