[nabentre] Free resources for starting a business

Ted Shelly tshelly at optonline.net
Thu May 21 00:22:28 UTC 2009

There is no end of advice out there on how to start a business.  Some of it
is even fairly good.  Some of it is not.  Some is a rip-off.

In getting my business set up, I did find a couple of good free resources
that actually give some tangible benefit beyond advice.

1. Free web site: There are a number of ways to get a free web site, but the
best one I found is Microsoft Office Live for Small Business.  You get a
free site and they have good tools to build it.  Here's the link:
http://www.officelive.com
I'm not sure how friendly the tools are for screen readers, as I can get by
with magnification.  I'd be interested in feedback on how well screen
readers work with their tools.

You can see my site at the link at the bottom of this e-mail.  I set that up
with just a few hours work.  If any NFB member wants help with getting a
site set up for their small business I would be happy to help for free.

2. Free business cards: Vistaprint.com  offers free business cards.
http://www.vistaprint.com/
The free ones are somewhat limited and have a small advertisement on the
back (I am told, I have not seen them myself).  Designing them online would
probably require some sighted help.  But getting cards for free is amazing.

There are probably other good free resources out there.  Anyone know of
others?

Best,

Ted

Ted Shelly PMP