[nabentre] What does everyone do

Mary Ellen gabias at telus.net
Wed Feb 3 17:06:57 UTC 2010

You asked what each of us does in our entrepreneurial lives. I assist my
husband who is an independent wellness consultant for a company called
Nikken. Nikken is from Japan and markets a variety of wellness products,
including systems to help improve sleep and products to relieve discomfort.
Our web site is www.nikken.com/paulgabias or you can phone 250-491-7256 and
talk with Paul. Our products have been mentioned in the Monitor because
studies have shown them helpful in relieving the symptoms of proliferative
neuropathy associated with diabetes.
My purpose isn't primarily to write a commercial for our business, though
I'm always glad to do that. I wanted to comment on all the questions about
how to find prospective business partners or customers.
Paul met a couple while walking through a park in our city. He does it
simply by saying hello whenever he hears someone else walking near him on
the path. Sometimes all he gets back is a friendly hello. Sometimes the
person he meets wants to help him in some way. Sometimes a conversation
about the weather turns into a longer chat. Often people disclose that they
are walking for their health. If the conversation lasts more than a few
seconds, Paul always carries CD's with him. He asks permission to give a CD
to the person and takes the phone number. Then he phones back in a few days
to continue the conversation and to see if the person has had a chance to
listen to the CD. It's very soft selling, but in November he met an older
couple who were interested in improving their health. They got relief from
our products and began telling their friends and relatives. The result has
been approximately seven thousand dollars worth of business in the past
three months.
Paul likes this approach because the very worst thing that can happen is
that the person doesn't say hello when Paul greets him. It's always a
permission based process. Would you be interested in listening to this CD?
May I have your phone number? What did you think? Would you like to know
more? At any time during those conversations the person can just say "NO"
and they revert to talking about the weather, the local government's last
blunder, what makes kids do the things they do, or whatever else they might
want to discuss. Paul makes new friends and prospecting fits into life
instead of being a chore.
This is probably old information to many of you, and not of interest to
those of you not in network marketing. There may still be some newbies who
can use it, though, and I know I would have appreciated some tips when we
were first starting. I spewed information all over people in the beginning,
whether they wanted it or not. I don't think I lost any friends, but I
probably failed to make new ones because they were afraid I was going to
sell them something every time we met. I'm much more relaxed now because I
realize my job is just to check for interest. After all, much as I love
baseball, I don't talk about it to people who don't like the game. In my
heart of hearts I believe they're missing out on something wonderful, but I
don't tell them that. I don't need to hear all the remarks about people
going to baseball games to watch the grass grow since that's the most
interesting thing happening on the field. Let them remain oblivious to one
of life's simple joys if they choose to deprive themselves.
It's the same with Nikken. My job is to let people know it's there to
explore. If they want to explore, I help them do so. It was a relief for me
to understand the difference between prospecting and recruiting. Prospecting
is nothing more than checking for interest. Ninety per cent of prospects
don't have an interest, just as ninety per cent of people at a shopping mall
might not have an interest in a particular store on any given day. No
problem. Just talk to enough people until someone is interested. That's why
marketing, especially network marketing, is such a numbers game. I think the
reason most people quit is that they don't understand the difference between
prospecting and recruiting, push too hard, and get their emotions all tied
up in what people say to them. If you know that you may need to talk to a
thousand people to find ten really good ones (plus many customers) you just
relax and go through the numbers. After all, it's no reflection on me or my
relationship with a person if he or she turns me down flat.
Sorry for this lengthy post. I suppose I write about this issue because it
was one of the hardest things for me to get my head around. Perhaps I'm the
only one who has struggled with this one. If so, I appologize for going on
at such length.

Mary Ellen