[nabentre] Business Opportunity

Homme, James james.homme at highmark.com
Mon Jun 21 11:30:31 UTC 2010

Hi Brian,
The Federal Trade Commission explains the differences between MLM, which they say is legal, and a pyramid scheme, which they say is not. Please see the following.

Adapted From
PREPARED STATEMENT OF
DEBRA A. VALENTINE, GENERAL COUNSEL FOR
THE U.S. FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION
on
"PYRAMID SCHEMES"
presented at the
INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND'S
SEMINAR ON CURRENT LEGAL ISSUES AFFECTING CENTRAL BANKS
Washington, D.C.
May 13, 1998

What is a Pyramid Scheme and What is Legitimate Marketing?
Pyramid schemes
promise consumers or investors large profits based primarily on recruiting others to join their program, not based on profits from any real investment
or real sale of goods to the public.

There are two tell-tale signs that a product is simply being used to disguise a pyramid scheme: inventory loading and a lack of retail sales. Inventory
throughout the company's distribution system, the people at the top of the pyramid reap substantial profits, even though little or no product moves to
market. The people at the bottom make excessive payments for inventory that simply accumulates in their basements. A lack of retail sales is also a red
flag that a pyramid exists. Many pyramid schemes will claim that their product is selling like hot cakes. However, on closer examination, the sales occur
only between people inside the pyramid structure or to new recruits joining the structure, not to consumers out in the general public.

Some people confuse pyramid and Ponzi schemes with legitimate multilevel marketing. Multilevel marketing programs are known as MLM's,
and unlike pyramid or Ponzi schemes, MLM's have a real product to sell. More importantly, MLM's actually sell their product to members of the general public,
without requiring these consumers to pay anything extra or to join the MLM system. MLM's may pay commissions to a long string of distributors, but these
commissions are paid for real retail sales, not for new recruits.

FTC Precedent from the 1970's

The Commission took its first concerted action against pyramid schemes in the 1970's during a boom in home-based business and MLM or direct selling.
One of the Commission's first cases was In re Koscot Interplanetary, Inc.,
which involved a company that offered the opportunity to become a "Beauty Advisor" and sell cosmetics. The company's incentive structure really did not
encourage retail sales. Instead, it encouraged people to pay $2000 for the title of "Supervisor" and purchase $5400 in Koscot cosmetics, and then to earn
bonuses by recruiting others to make the same investments.
The Commission found that Koscot operated an illegal "entrepreneurial chain" and articulated a definition of illegal pyramiding that our agency and the
federal courts continue to rely on.
The Commission found that pyramid schemes force participants to pay money in return for two things. First is "the right to sell a product", second is "the
right to receive, in return for recruiting other participants into the program, rewards which are unrelated to sale of the product to ultimate users.

The Commission explained that paying bonuses for recruiting:

. . . will encourage both a company and its distributors to pursue that side of the business, to the neglect or exclusion of retail selling. The short-term
result may be high recruiting profits for the company and select distributors, but the ultimate outcome will be neglect of market development, earnings
misrepresentations, and insufficient sales for the insupportably large number of distributors whose recruitment the system encourages."

In In re Amway Corp.,
another landmark decision from the 1970's, the FTC distinguished an illegal pyramid from a legitimate multilevel marketing program. At the time, Amway
manufactured and sold cleaning supplies and other household products. Under the Amway Plan, each distributor purchased household products at wholesale
from the person who recruited or "sponsored" her. The top distributors purchased from Amway itself. A distributor earned money from retail sales by pocketing
the difference between the wholesale price at which she purchased the product, and the retail price at which she sold it. She also received a monthly bonus
based on the total amount of Amway products that she purchased for resale to both consumers and to her sponsored distributors.

Since distributors were compensated both for selling products to consumers and to newly-recruited distributors, there was some question as to whether this
was a legitimate multilevel marketing program or an illegal pyramid scheme. The Commission held that, although Amway had made false and misleading earnings
claims when recruiting new distributors,
the company's sales plan was not an illegal pyramid scheme. Amway differed in several ways from pyramid schemes that the Commission had challenged. It
did not charge an up-front "head hunting" or large investment fee from new recruits, nor did it promote "inventory loading" by requiring distributors to
buy large volumes of nonreturnable inventory. Instead, Amway only required distributors to buy a relatively inexpensive sales kit.

Moreover, Amway had
three different policies to encourage distributors to actually sell the company's soaps, cleaners, and household products to real end users. First, Amway
required distributors to buy back any unused and marketable products from their recruits upon request. Second, Amway required each distributor to sell
at wholesale or retail at least 70 percent of its purchased inventory each month -- a policy known as the 70% rule. Finally, Amway required each sponsoring
distributor to make at least one retail sale to each of 10 different customers each month, known as the 10 customer rule.

The Commission found that these three policies prevented distributors from buying or forcing others to buy unneeded inventory just to earn bonuses. Thus,
Amway did not fit the Koscot definition: Amway participants were not purchasing the right to earn profits unrelated to the sale of products to consumers "by recruiting other participants,
who themselves are interested in recruitment fees rather than the sale of products."

Pyramid Schemes in the 1990's

The 1990's first brought an important refinement in the law. As the Commission pursued new pyramid cases, many defendants proclaimed their innocence, stating
that they had adopted the same safeguards -- the inventory buy-back policy, the 70% rule, and the 10 customer rule -- that were found acceptable in Amway.
However, an appellate court decision called Webster v. Omnitrition Int'l, Inc.,
pointed out that the Amway safeguards do not immunize every marketing program. The court noted that the "70% rule" and "10 customer rule" are meaningless
if commissions are paid based on a distributor's wholesale sales (which are only sales to new recruits), and not based on actual retail sales.
The court also noted that an inventory buy-back policy is an effective safeguard only if it is actually enforced.

Jim

Jim Homme,
Usability Services,
Phone: 412-544-1810. Skype: jim.homme
Internal recipients,  Read my accessibility blog. Discuss accessibility here. Accessibility Wiki: Breaking news and accessibility advice