[nabentre] Grant Writers

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 20 13:15:37 UTC 2011

Dear Albert,

You can check with your local state college or university's Department of
Sponsored Research, or who ever writes their research grants or maybe your
local Community Foundation or even your library.  Very often they will at
least look your grant over, make suggestions or advise you as to what to do
and how to do it in writing a grant.    They may even be able to put you in
contact with a local grant writer that will advise you or help you.
There are many guides available to show you how to write a grant.  It is
mostly collecting certain pieces of paper work and then basically laying out
what it is you want, why you want it, what benefits will it provide and how
much will it cost.
Most grants either have an application that the grant maker provides a with
a format and list of required paper work you must provide or you might have
a grant that just ask you for some basic info or to describe the project or
program.
I have had grants that took as little as 3 pieces of paper and some that you
needed to kill a couple of trees for.  It can vary.
Pro grant writers normally get anywhere from about $250 to write a grant,
win or lose, to a percentage of the total grant award.  There was a guy who
wrote a grant for a construction company where he got 3% of the total grant
award for a grant funding a 11 million dollar project.  You do the math.
You don't have to have a pro write most grants for you and the experience
will be great for you to learn.
Anyone who runs a non-profit organization needs to know this stuff.  It is
not that hard to figure out, it just takes some reading, some writing and
some paper work gathering.
Once you have all of this paper work gathered, you will already have most of
it together for your next grant.

Your community Foundation and sometimes local non-profits have local
training classes that you can go to and learn some of the finer points of
grant writing.  There is also the Gransmanship Foundation(
www.grantsmanshipfoundation.org),, that conducts training classes around the
country.  Some of these classes cost and some do not.  Your non-profit
should cover the cost.
I have learned to include a line item in my budget page, of grants I write
that allows me the flexibility to pay for such things as classes,
educational and research materials or memberships that help me get the
information or services to help me write my next grant.
I believe in the axiom of "give a man a fish, feed him for a day.  Teach a
man how to fish and feed him for a lifetime."
You can do this stuff, just give it a try.
When I got my first note taker for example.  I photocopied 2 pages from the
Blazie catalog that showed a picture of the Type-N-Speak and then a page
that wrote about the unit , what it could do and how much it cost,
$1,410.00.  I then wrote a one page statement as to why I wanted this unit,
what I felt it could do for me and submitted the 3 pages to the grant maker
and got the max award of $1,000.00.  I added $410.00 of my own money and got
the unit which I still use today 17 years later.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.