[nabentre] accessible work from home

Leslie Fairall fairall at panix.com
Sat Mar 31 19:35:06 UTC 2018

I understand why the idea of working from home is very attractive to blind
people. You don't have to worry about a possibly long job search and
explain to employers that you can do the job just as well as a sighted
person. Transportation is less of an obstacle, especially in rural areas.

There are two ways of working from home:

1. Working for an employer who allows you to telework for several days a
week
2. Starting your own business

Right now I'm using the first option. However, I did not start out with
the privilege of working from home. You have to be in a certain type of
position where your location is immaterial to your job performance.
Information technology is one good example, but there are certainly other
positions that meet this category. On the other side, working as a
counselor or instructor isn't as conducive to a work from home situation
and may not be permitted by most employers.

The second option is starting your own business. In my opinion, it's one
of the hardest things to do. In most (if not all) cases, it does take some
outlay of cash for startup costs. You need to know what you want to do and
have a business plan, even if it's just in your head. Your business may
also take some time to get off the ground. Sometimes I hear blind people
say they are looking for a business opportunity that takes no work. In my
opinion, that doesn't exist. You have to be willing to put in the time and
effort required in order for a business to succeed, even if it is from the
comfort of your own home.

As I said earlier, I'm utilizing option #1 approach to work from home
right now, but that's not what I really want. Since I have a 40-hour job,
I'm working on option #2 in baby steps and in the middle of completing the
first step. There's definitely a lot of work ahead of me, but it will be
worth it in the end.