[nabop] New to list; medical coding question

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 13 15:32:58 UTC 2013

Yes I have and it is not an easy job to get into.
You cannot learn on the job, you have to go to school for it. I am actually the first blind person here on Long Island, to graduate the Medical Billing/Coding classes. I went to an actual class and not the online ones, I highly recommend you do not go to the online schools for this important courses, and do not go to the ones that say you can get a job in 3 months, You will not learn enough at all.
Medical billing is all about learning how to bill the insurance companies for patients either at a doctors office or a lab, etc.
Coding is only done at a hospital.
At lot more work at coding and if you can get it, it is a very labor intense job.
At the hospital the only thing that actually belongs to the hospital is the hospital itself.
You have to charge the patient everything from there care to the beds, linens, medical equipment, food, all of this is billed out to the vendors that the hospital offers.
You need to learn the codes and what they are. You have to use that hospitals computer program, most of them know are internet based and are for the most part accessible.
But a lot of work, you have to also scan a lot of paperwork into the computer as well, the forms are sometimes not in the computer and you have to work with files, and paper.
I worked for a Medical Laboratory, place where people went to get there blood tested, I had to contact the doctors offices a lot of times, because the insurance would send us back the paperwork saying that they didn't have the doctors ID number, or the correct spelling of the patients name or date of birth etc. You do not contact the patient on it.
Also have to contact the insurance companies as to why they haven't paid out yet. That is what I mostly did, the more money you bring in from the insurance companies for the labs or the doctors the happier they will be, with all the cuts and changes in insurance it is harder to get the insurance companies to pay the doctors.
Hope this helps.

Disabled Entrepreneur of the Year 2012 of NY StateLeading the Way in Independent Travel!
Cheryl Echevarria, Ownerhttp://www.echevarriatravel.com631-456-5394reservations@echevarriatravel.comhttp://www.echevarriatravel.wordpress.com
Affiliated as an independent contractor with Montrose TravelCST - #1018299-10 FL CST T156780Your old car keys can be the keys to literacy for a blind child.  Donate your unwanted vehicle to us by clicking https://nfb.org/vehicledonations or call 855-659-9314.Echevarria Travel has partnered with Braille Smith. http://www.braillesmith.com for all her braille needs.Gail Smith is the Secretary of the NFB of Alabama