[nabop] customer service jobs and training

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 31 01:14:53 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I’m exploring jobs. I feel I have decent phone skills so I may be able to do customer service; I’d rather be in public relations as that is more geared to what I learned from college, but I’d certainly take something else to get started in a job.

Anyone work in customer service? How do you  like it? Is working in databases a challenge? I would think so because sighted people can see the whole screen with its many frames at once and flip to different screens faster. Another big challenge IMO would be talking on the phone and hearing jaws too.

Did you take any training to prepare for the job? I know there are certifications out there as well as specific training programs for blind people. I’m interested in learning first hand experiences of Cleveland Sight center’s program or the Statler center which is dedicated to training those for hospitality and customer service careers. What were the classes you took? Did they treat you as adults and move at a good pace?

Thanks.
Ashley