[nabop] working at a front desk and accomodations

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 5 23:00:19 UTC 2013

Hi all,

This list is too quiet. I’m a graduate of marymount universiy and I hope to have  a job.
I’m hoping to get experience now volunteering. My internships in the federal sector gave me little experience that I wanted.

Have any of you worked at a front desk? I am likely going to do it for a volunteer job.
How would you handle the tasks? For phones, the act of answering and responding to questions is the same. How did you memorize the phone and transfer calls? Usually, all phone buttons feel the same. Is it a matter of memorizing what button does what and memorizing extentions?  I could also have major extentions written in braille.

How do you handle paperwork? The only thing I can think of is to have someone read it to me especially if it’s a hand written form.
Can you ensure someone signs in? I can see a little if I hold papers close. I was thinking of looking for the signature, listening for them writing it, and maybe feeling for the writing; most pens have indentations they make in the paper.

Also, is there a way to check IDs? For volunteering, I can get help with this if needed as there are two front desk people. But for a job, I could not. Is there a scanning machine that would scan the card and read the card to me? Is there any aps that might help? I do not have a smart phone, but so many family members do that borrowing one would be possible if I needed it.
I thought I read somewhere  that a blind receptionist identified IDS somehow.

Thanks for any ideas.

Sincerely,

Ashley