[nabop] braille transcription and proofreading career information

Judy jones jtj1 at cableone.net
Sun Mar 31 14:37:11 UTC 2013

Hi, Sarah,

>From my experience having been a transcriber, if you are going to have
transcription as your sole occupation, there isn't a lot of profit to be had
unless you expand to become a larger company.  I also diversified and became
an ADA consultant that also brought in income.  If you can diversify into an
occupation to complement the transcription itself that will help.  Also,
take time to write a business plan to project where you see yourself, for
example, five years from now.  It is also very important to check the market
in your area.  How much of a need is there, and which markets are easily
accessible and receptive to paying for braille access for their clientelle?
Get the support of someone in Small Business Administration as you start in.

Judy