[nabop] career info

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 23 13:47:45 UTC 2014

Good morning Gary and all:
Becoming a Paralegal or any job, would consider any amount of movement on your part, which my husband Nelson suffers every day, he also has herniated disks from an on the job accident about 25 years ago, and also suffers from Asthma.
But like me, nothing stops him, he is sighted, I was sighted and I am now blind.
Not knowing exactly what you are feeling I do have empathy for your situation, like someone doesn't know what it is like to blind that isn't.
Now  getting back to your situation, movement for any arthritis is good for it sitting all day isn't good for anyone or not moving can make it worse.
Now again, Nelson, has had any asthma attacks in about 4 years, and he lost weight so his back and knees do not hurt as much.
Again, what ever job profession we all do in life, we need to move.
Paralegals do not sit all day, they are at the library or running to different places to get files, etc.  Yes the internet is full of getting things faxed or e-mailed, but we are talking legal documents, and possibly meeting people.
Just like myself who is a travel agent, I do not sit home all day, I am out in the community, I got to business dinners and events, as well as supplier events or even travel to experience what I am selling, I mean I cannot really sell a place or something unless I experience and give my own feedback to my clients.
I also know this profession, prior to losing my vision in 2001 from diabetes, and things have changed, I was a legal secretary, and had to work with paralegals all day long.  You have to know as much legal terminology as a lawyer without the 4-8 years to become one.
They offer schools all over NJ for it, and yes there are internet courses, but I would recommend to try and get to an actual class on it because, you can speak to your instructor, etc.  Many of us blind people have with the internet have decided to learn on the internet instead of going to an actual school because of the fear of being rejected and the schools not knowing what to do with us.  But that is what the NFB is for, we have sued many places to make sure that this doesn't happen.
I am getting long winded, and I am sure I may have offended someone, but this is coming from my own experiences, and asking NFB for help on these matters.
Should anyone have questions about being a Legal Secretary which I was for 5 years, and I also worked in the medical insurance field before I lost my vision and then working for a Laboratory for a billing department after losing my vision for a number of years.
Cheryl Echevarria, PresidentNFB Travel & TourismNational Federation of the Blind631-236-5138cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com

Disabled Entrepreneur of the Year 2012 of NY StateOffering the Best in Meaningful Travel Experiences for Everyone!Cheryl Echevarria, Ownerwww.echevarriatravel.com631-456-5394reservations at echevarriatravel.com

Sign up for our e-newsletter by e-mailing us you first and last name, and e-mail address to reservations at echevarriatravel.com, let us know if you want just text or pictures in your e-mail.
Echevarria Travel has partnered with Braille Smith. www.braillesmith.com for all her braille needs.  Gail Smith is the Secretary of the NFB of Alabama