[nabop] Advice on performing general office tasks

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu May 7 22:42:14 UTC 2015

Judy,

Good advice.
I would use accomodations such as jaws as well with openbook.
I agree with the perkins too so you can write notes on the spot and  label.
slate and stylus works as well if you are efficient at it.

But its unlikely Min's school has openbook. I hope they are willing to buy
it for her if she needs it.
These accomodations are expensive. Her school likely has jaws already for
students to use on school computers such as the library or computer labs. So
it’s a matter of getting a copy to place on the office pc, but openbook,
well, is another ball game.
Its also unlikely
that Min can get an optican because they are not manufactured anymore; so
unless a nfb member has one she can borrow, this idea will not work.

Can you expand more on how you file?
How can you identify what the papers are to file?
Is the optican so useful and accurate?
I've known older nfb members who use them.
Wouldn't you need a reader for that so you can label it first?
Are you labeling the papers as well as the files?

Sure we can do many tasks such as  database cleanup, faxing and printing,
answering phones, routing calls to personnel, and
organizing tasks like booking meeting rooms and ordering supplies. All tasks
are common to admin assistant jobs.

That said, I think there are a number of significant challenges to being an
admin assistant in this increasing digital touch screen world.

I also fail to see how we can electronically index and file documents. I
wanted a volunteer position in a county office requiring me
to do just that! They said I would not know what the files were once
scanned. So how on earth could I file or index them?
How could I properly scan them as well? They did not think the software was
compatible.
I was not even allowed to try because I was told they had enough admin
volunteers in that job by the time they got back to me.
I understand their concerns, and I honestly had the same ones.

Administrative assistant jobs strike me as visual.
I've been seeking such a job as an entry level  job and cannot even find a
volunteer position to practice.
I need experience before someone will hire me!

My barrier is that many office volunteer jobs require you to
scan, copy, file, and most of all data entry and more data entry.
I cannot see the papers to perform data entry.

My concern with copying is we cannot put the copies in order or visually
check if everything copied.
Sure someone can show us the copier and what buttons to press, but it copies
in print, and wouldn't you get copies mixed up  if you had a lot of them?

Anyway, more ideas would be welcome.
I have a  bit of central vision but cannot see standard print. I'm thinking
maybe different colors of file folders would assist me in organization.

Thanks.
Ashley