[nabop] Is braille overrated?

Valdez, Danielle, CFB Danielle.Valdez at state.nm.us
Wed Jan 17 18:21:28 UTC 2018

I completely agree with you. While technological advances give those of us who are blind/visually impaired access and assistance we might not have had before, they are also causing a decrease in literacy. Blind children are learning to rely on technology, text to speak, spell check, etc. but are never actually gaining literacy skills. It is evident in my dealings with people who are blind or VI if they read braille or not. You can tell by how they write/spell, their use of words, etcetera. If the blind community continues to believe "braille is overrated," they are not going to have consistent, stable and competitive employment because the jobs are going to go to those who can properly write and spell. I am enamored with braille and get frustrated at that 'braille's not necessary' mentality.

All the best,
~Danielle