[nabop] Questions about Work as a Braille Transcriber

Lisa Hall lhall007 at cinci.rr.com
Thu Jun 14 03:04:21 UTC 2018

Hi Dani,

You should know Microsoft Word as a good software for formatting print
documents before translating into Braille with Duxbury or other
translation software.

A screen reader such as Jaws for Windows is good if you are blind.

Now the latest version of Jaws 2018 have the ability to do optical
recognition right in their program.
Jaws have an extensive documentation and tutorial from Freedom Scientific.

There is a hardware device called the Pearl that attaches by USB and
you can use Open Book sofrware available from Freedom Scientific to
scan documents before translating into braille.

One thing I would say is before you distribute your material in
Braille, you should have it proofread so that the sighted person read
from print and the blind person read from braille. In this case,
braille follows print in terms of capitailization, punctuation,
formatting, and using italics, bold, and so forth.
You should be armed with the Braille Formats 2016 instruction manual
that will guide you how to format a variety of material to be transcribed.

You should also have the UEB 2013 rulebook to refer to for explanation
of the rules and its examples.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to let me know.

I hope you'll be in Orlando, Florida for this year's NFB convention.
It is from July 3-8, 2018.
As President of the division, our business meeting is on July 2, 2018
with registration at 6:30 pm and the meeting begins at 7:00 pm.
We will also have a Braille Proofreading seminar on July 7, 2018 from 7
pm to 9 pm.
This is your chance to learn what tools you'll need to do braile transcription.

If you have any question, please ask.

Sincerely,

Lisa Hall, President
National Association of Blind Office Professionals