[nabs-l] professors and disability services

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 4 06:49:49 UTC 2008

Hi Valerie,

Sorry to hear this; freshman year is a learning experience.  When at George
mason university, I did what you did.  I had the dss write a letter of
accomodation and the professors signed it.  Sounds like a familar procedure.
Your professor should have followed through.  Can you remind him politely
again?  Has he been ignoring your requests?  If you cannot get it from him
other ideas are these.  Get notes from a classmate. Also you should have a
device like Pacmate to write notes; review your own notes if you have them.
Often professors at the freshman intro level follow the textbook so study
your book too.

Next about the english professor,
its confusing.  Is she not accepting your papers since they are late or
what?  I hope you explained your issues that not only did you need
assistance formatting but you were sick over the holiday.  I'm also
surprised you got a low grade just for formatting. Surely there was more.
Professors take off some for formatting but not a failing grade for that.
The professor can reject late papers.  Its been my experience that different
professors have different policies.  Some will accept it for a lower grade;
some with partial credit of some sort and some not at all.
So I don't have any advice for the english class; its up to the professor as
to whether they will accept papers.  Next semester, get a tutor; surely your
school has a tutoring service; mine does.  Your tutor can make formatting
suggestions as well as suggest areas to improve in writing.  If you are
failing english sounds like you need some tutoring assistance.
Also, if you hire a reader for other matterial, they can check formatting
too.

If you're still reading, this is a bit long, I have some commands to help
with formatting.  This works if you use jaws and Microsoft word. Do you use
that?
Some commands tell you about formatting.

Insert F: announces the size, type and spacing of writing.  Such as 12
point, times new roman, line spacing single
Also says if you have normal or bold font.
Control B: bold on/off
Control I: italic on/off

Ashley