[nabs-l] Comments on Saturday Night Live Segment

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 08:07:00 UTC 2008

Carrie,

People may very well tell a blind person that their dreams are too lofty.  A
blind person's own family may very well feel that their blind relative's
abilities are too limited.  The media may very well portray the blind
character as something less than realistic.  In short, the world may very
well feel like a dismal place for a blind person, so yes, I want people to
know that from us there is no hesitation, no reluctance, about our
unequivocal belief in that person's capacity to move a mountain if they
should feel so inclined.

The real world is not simple.  A person may find themselves setting a goal,
and then, abruptly, life throws a challenge in their direction.  Yet, the
goal has not changed, only the person's method of achieving it, and if that
person should feel too discouraged to continue pursuing it, the person
should consider the possibility that perhaps they never really meant to
achieve it in the first place.

There is no gray matter.  Life is full of failure and disappointments, but
strength is found in how well a person overcomes those obstacles.  It has
never been my position that a person's success is built entirely alone.
Just as there are people who will attempt to hinder another person's
achievements, there will be people whose patient guidance will help fuel the
person's desire, but neither the former nor the latter will guarantee the
person's accomplishments.  A person may not be responsible for the
environment where they were raised, but it is mostly certainly their own
prerogative to dictate the environment where they will grow.  By your own
definition a person is capable of creating their own reality, because
anything greater than the challenges of life, or the views others may
attempt to impose, is a reality separate from the existence that would have
unraveled had the person given into those challenges or pressures.

As I observed in a different discussion thread, the basis of my arguments
would be flawed if the discussion were being carried out in the middle of a
developing country.  It is not.  Our laws and views in the United States may
not always be the most accommodating, but the level of opportunities enjoyed
here far surpass the level of opportunities in most other parts of the
world.  In this country people with disabilities have come along too far in
their fight for equality to allow their predecessors to enjoy the privilege
of blaming someone else for their shortcomings.

I do not deny the fact that blind people are oppressed and forced to work
under deplorable conditions.  This is no different from sex trafficking
victims who are forced to work under similar circumstances.

I do not deny that blind people are victims of violence simply because they
are blind.  How is this different from the homosexual who is the victim of
hate crimes because he is gay?

I fail to see your conclusion here.  It is quite obvious that blind people
are just as likely as anyone else  of facing unfair treatment.  Is it your
belief that these victims have no choice but to accept their circumstances?
Your logic concentrates on the person's surroundings and not enough on the
person, or maybe the problem is that your logic would rather ponder the
problem rather than the solution.  Hatred is a natural flaw of human nature,
and to suggest that hatred, or discrimination, is to blame for a person's
inability to break out of a mold is like blaming gravity for a plane crash.

You disagree that the NFB views blind people as tough.  What I should have
said is that the organization would like blind people to be tough, but
regardless of the angle you choose, there is still the matter of what
constitutes proper training.  The hard core Federationist would argue that
the only means of achieving proper training is through the attendance of one
of the three NFB training centers.  With few exceptions, this hard core
Federationist would suggest that anything outside this sphere may be good,
but not good enough.  Do you detect much of a difference between that
Federationist's strict adherence and my high expectations?  I would venture
to guess the only difference between he and I is the diplomatic means of
articulating the same point.

Now, you say a blind person's plight is not owed to the "workability of
their eyeballs."  To clarify, you are saying a person's limitations are not
owed to their being blind.  You blame other people for these limitations.
You blame their environment.  Then at what point is the blind person held
responsible for their own performance?  Or are you advancing the hypothesis
that for certain blind people there is no such thing as responsibility?  To
me it seems that blaiming a person's environment expects the environment to
change for the sake of the blind person, and while such a position may sit
well in the ACB, it is not welcomed here.

The press release that came on the heels of the show was not so much a
mistake for its publication but more for its content.  Unfortunately, that
makes the whole thing a mistake.  The rhetoric was unnecessarily defensive
and overbearing.  Calling the show an "attack" would lead an uninformed
reader to believe that the resolve of the blind community is so delicate as
to be crumpled by a fleeting brush of sarcasm.  Acknowledging the segment at
all through the distribution of a press release only legitimized the show's
impact.  If anything, I feel the formal attention given to the segment
turned the brief exhibit of humor into a serious question of whether or not
blind people really do behave the way the actor conducted himself in the
skit.  I mean, what does the National Center expect of a show using this
format?  A perfect blind person with all the alternative techniques would
not be funny.  Actually, they would be rather boring for SNL, so is it your
position that blind people should just not be featured on SNL because blind
people are too sensitive?  Or, a better question, how would you have
rewritten the skit to meet your approval of a funny and educational
experience?

Now, as to your final question of what I would suggest as a better use of
our strength as the largest organization of blind people...that could take
another voluminous post I am sure you are not interested in reading.  If
push comes to shove I will most definitely share my thoughts, yet for now
let's call that one a to be continued...

Joe Orozco

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity."--James M.
Barrie