[nabs-l] hope this doesn't annoy others--but one question on SNL

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 14:45:15 UTC 2008

Dear Joe,

I thought this best to separate.

At the end.are you saying the only way a competent or skilled or "perfect"
blind person could be funny would be to make fun of the blindness in a
stereotypical way? I would hope that integration would mean they could be
funny in the same way others are funny. I do not know the Govenor's
personality or personal mannerisms or policies well enough to re-write the
skit with humor pertaining to him personally aside from his blindness. I do
believe there is enough more to him to be made fun of than just his
blindness. I would be very happy if now some who never questioned the
stereotypes did turn themselves to serious thought about whether or not
blind people really do behave in such a manner inherently because of their
blindness rather than just blankly accepting that they do behave in such a
manner because of blindness.

I can't speak for the whole national center-I do think they try or
purposefully do their best to speak for us (given we are not monolithic)-in
my case I think they did speak what I agree with and that is I hope for them
to not get a laugh using blanket stereotypes with disrespect (whether or not
they intended to be disrespectful)-just like I would not respect them doing
blanket stereotype jokes that have clearly been harmful in their
perpetuation about any other group. I personally understand the basis of
some stereotypical humor as being much less harmful and sometimes even
funny. I saw the SNL writers on an interview on the Charlie Rose show last
week I think it was. They are all about pushing the envelope-nothing is out
of bounds in their brainstorming sessions. I think it is fair to say to them
when one feels the envelope has been pushed too far. I think out-of-bounds,
or having boundaries, is what keeps us civil and learning to respect our
diversity and laughing with each other in a healthy way rather than laughing
at someone(s) in a put down way.

Carrie Gilmer, President

A Division of the National Federation of the Blind

NFB National Center: 410-659-9314

Home Phone: 763-784-8590

carrie.gilmer at gmail.com

www.nfb.org/nopbc