[nabs-l] Comments on Saturday Night Live Segment

Serena serenacucco at verizon.net
Fri Dec 19 01:12:49 UTC 2008

I agree with you,Marc!

----- Original Message -----
From: <mworkman at ualberta.ca>
<nabs-l at nfbnet.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 5:48 PM
Subject: Re: [nabs-l] Comments on Saturday Night Live Segment

Hello,

I haven't posted on this list yet, but this thread is compelling enough to
draw me out of lurker mode and into the conversation.

By way of introduction, my name is Marc Workman, and I'll be starting a Ph.D
in Philosophy at the University of Alberta in September.  For you americans,
that's in Canada where we spend all of our free time assuming that you know
nothing about us and pretending that we don't care even though we
desperately do.  That little bit of self-depricating, but not very funny,
poking fun at canadians was to show that I can take a joke, even if I can't
make one.

I find so much wrong with what you say Joe that this is likely to turn into
an essay.  I don't expect to change your mind (I saw the presidential
election discussions, and I witnessed your impressive ability to deflect
reasoned arguments without a second thought, and sometimes, it seemed,
without a first as well).  So this is really written for myself and whoever
else is interested.

First off, I always find it amusing when people assume that, once we reach
adulthood, we are these completely free, autonomous, rational beings that
independently choose whatever path we want.  This assumption is usually made
without the slightest awareness of how profoundly this conception of
ourselves has been shaped by religious, economic, and political changes over
the last 500 years.  Not so long ago, the kind of person you describe who is
capable of choosing his reality wasn't even conceivable.  Now it's taken as
a simple fact of nature, especially by americans and particularly a certain
brand of conservative american (though many others as well of course), that
we all freely and independently choose our reality.  But I'll just leave
that hopelessly internally contradictory position aside for now.

Second, to the question: is it impossible for blind people to make something
of themselves? The answer is obviously no.  But it's the wrong question to
ask.  We should be working to make it so that blind people don't have to
beat the odds, don't have to muster up anymore determination in order to
succeed than do the sighted.  The comment about the high level of
determination required of blind people suggests that this is not currently
the situation in which blind people find themselves, and for me, that cries
out for rectification, but you imply that it is an acceptable state of
affairs simply because it is always technically possible for blind people to
succeed, provided of course that they muster up a high enough level of
determination.

Third, There seems to be some ignorance about the history of the blind.
Blind people were, in fact, institutionalized in asylums, workshops,
prisons, and privately in the home.  Blind people were sterilized, in some
cases voluntarily (whatever that means) and, in other cases,
non-voluntarily.  An of course there is the Holocaust where disabled people,
including blind people, were actually killed.  Suddenly, the apple and the
orange don't seem so different, though I've never thought that apples and
oranges were so difficult to compare; it would be much harder to compare
apples with, say, submarines.  Anyway, I view the history of the blind as
adding up to more than mere discrimination borne of pity, but you may
disagree.

Fourth, I warned you it would be long, I don't recall ever hearing a blind
person cluck like a chicken, unless he was trying to goad someone into a
fight.  And this is one of the problems with the SNL skit: it was so far
from resembling anything close to an accurate depiction that it could only
be funny to those who know almost nothing about blindness and hold very low
expectations of the blind.  I hardly think SNL was shedding light on the
status quo.  You can't tell me you think any blind person would actually
wander back and forth in front of a camera like that.  Nor do I think a
blind person would show a graph upside down anymore that a sighted person;
in fact, I suspect it would happen less because we know that when we make
mistakes like that, it automatically gets assumed that it is a result of our
blindness rather than, say, just being in a rush, whereas a sighted person
can get away with making  the same mistake and shrugging it off.  The jokes
the writers made were not based on observing blind people in any meaningful
way.  They simply imagined how hard it would be to be blind, recalled the
bumbling blind man in past media portrayals, and came up with something
pethetically unfunny.  I grant, however, that 90% of SNL is crap, and so
this was par for the course, but I genuinely believe these portrayals have a
negative impact on me and the way I live my life.  Exaggerating Sara Palin's
mannerisms does little to perpetuate discrimination against any marginalized
group.  I don't think the same can be said of this particular skit, and this
is why it is worse than just making fun of a politician.

Finally, I don't understand why there is so much concern about writing press
releases.  It might make sense if there was a lot of time and effort going
into this issue, but it's only a press release.  It takes an hour to write
and no time to send off to a set of media contacts.  If the story gets
picked up, then, who knows, you might end up actually educating someone or
informing someone about the NFB.  If the story doesn't get picked up, oh
well, no real loss.  I really find it odd that people would take more time
condemning the writing of a press release than was actually spent writing it
in the first place.

Well, I'm sure I've alienated at least one of you, and probably more than
that, so I'll sign off for now.

Marc